Friday, March 11, 2011

Preschool - Letter X

I was in charge of preschool last week and I did the letter X. After we practiced writing X I showed them a picture of an X-ray. We talked about how it is a tool that Doctor's use. I had gathered a bunch of toy and real medical instruments. They took turns picking one and then we talked about what each one is used for. 

Then they made their own Doctor's bags.

They colored medical instruments and then glued them inside.

Then we talked about how Doctor's teach us about being healthy. They each told me their favorite fruits and vegetables. I explained to them that Doctor's also tell us to eXercise. I explained that the word doesn't start with the letter x, but that x is in the word and it makes the x sound.

I have old Joy School tapes that has an exercise song. It sounds like Count Dracula and he tells them different exercises to do. We did that next and the kids thought that was really fun.

Then I asked them if they had heard of the phrase, "X marks the spot." They all had of course and they all started talking about pirates. I told them that pirates use the letter X to mark the spot where there treasure is hidden. I had asked them all to bring one of their treasures for show and tell. So they got to show us their treasure.

Then I read them the story, "Pirates Don't change Diapers." It's a really cute story - it's the sequel to "How I became a Pirate."


Then we made pirate hats and they each got a pirate eye patch.

I then told them that I had a treasure map and that there was a secret X on it that would tell us who's house a treasure was hidden. (You make an x with lemon juice and then let it dry.) We put our map over a toaster until they saw the faint letter X on Aubrey's house.


Then we began our treasure hunt. Here's all of the cute pirates.

I had hidden letter X's around the house that had clues on them. They all had a blast on our treasure hunt!

They found the Treasure box!

They couldn't wait to see what was inside.

They found fruit inside that they could eat for their snack. I explained to them that fruit was a treasure because it would keep their bodies healthy.

We had such a fun preschool day!

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...