Friday, October 14, 2011

Preschool Letter S

 I decided to do the letter "S" for preschool this month.

After the kids did their show and tell and practiced writing the letter S we went to the garage for an S Obstacle course. The day before preschool I remembered that I did this last year and the kids loved it, so I hurried and bought some bubble wrap to put it together again.

All of the things the kids do in the obstacle course start with the letter S. 

Here's the course:

"slither" through a tunnel

"slide" down the slide

"skip" down the line
 
"Stack" some blocks

 "shake" some shakers

 

 "Step" up on the Stools

Alternate between "sitting" and "standing" a few times

 and lastly "stomp" on some bubble wrap.


The rest of the preschool I focused on Shapes.
We read this book, The Shape of Things. It's about how the things in our world are made out of basic shapes.

 Then we went on a shape hunt.

I showed them a picture of a shape and then they looked around the room for something in that shape.
In this picture they are looking at the fan because it has 5 points like a star.

The pictures in the book gave me a fun idea. My mom had given me a whole bag of scrap pieces of felt and I had a lot of left over pink felt from a past Halloween costume, So I decided to make them all Shape flannel boards. I just used spray adhesive and tape to put the flannel on cardboard to make the board. Then I cut out basic shapes for them to make things out of. I gave them a paper with several ideas to help them get jump started.

Here they are with their flannel boards.

Next we used play dough to create some shapes. I just printed them all off a sheet of basic shapes and they used the play dough to fill them in. They all really loved doing this. There's just something about play dough! 


Then I gave them all a big letter S and had them decorate it with shape stamps, shape stickers and shells. I found a recipe for homemade stamp pads that I was excited about. The best part about it is that it's washable! You take 4 tbsp of washable poster paint and mix it with 1 tbsp of washable school glue. Then you pour it on top of a sponge that is in an air tight container. Put the lid on the container and let the paint soak in. Walla, you have a stamp pad!



Then they painted Star Suncatchers

For snack time they got to make their own Shape Sandwich. I gave them a piece of bread and had some cookie cutters out for them to choose from.

They cut out their bread into one of the shapes.

Then I gave them their own bowl of peanut butter and honey and they got to make their own sandwich.

We had a little time at the end for playtime. One of the boys got in the baby swing and Aubrey started pushing him. I thought it was pretty cute.

Aubrey had lots of fun playing with her flannel board during quiet time. First she made the shapes I had given as examples,

then she had a blast making up tons of her own figures.

Oh what fun we have in Preschool!

1 comment:

Lindsey said...

Very impressive! You are so creative and it looks like the kids had an awesome time!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...